About Me

My photo
If you've met me than you already know. If you have questions...just ask.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Fiji Independence Day

On October 10th I had the opportunity to participate in the Fiji Club's celebration of their Independence Day. I sang in the Fiji Club choir, and we had been practicing for a few weeks to prepare. The Fiji Club is the first club that I've actually been involved in, and it has been a great experience. When I came here, Fiji was the culture that I knew the least about. Then I met my friend Jarel, who is from Fiji, and he's the one that invited me to all of the different activities.

The night before the celebration we had a Bula Night, which was a school dance held by the Fiji Club. It was the best dance that I've been to so far since I've been here. At first there weren't very many people but I didn't care. I started to dancing with one of my friends from work, Viri. Jarel was laughing at me because it was just a few of us dancing, but I was enjoying myself. Eventually more people came and the place was packed. The best part of the dance for me was when the Tahitian girls all went in the middle of a dance circle and started shakin' it. Then me and a Tahitian guy went in and started doing the Tahitian dance with them. It was so much fun, and everybody started cheering. Afterwards, we all cleaned the ballroom up and eventually went to bed, (at 4:30 in the morning).

The celebration, the next day, was held at the Polynesian Cultural Center in the Fiji Village. (I woke up at 6:30 to help set up.) There were different members of the Fiji Club that spoke and we sang, it was an honor for me to participate. There was some members of the military that presented the Fiji colors, and a local high school band came and played the Fijian National Anthem. Afterwards, we ate and of course there was curry (a very common food in Fiji). And then they presented their new program for the Night Show at the Cultural Center. Straight after that I had to go to work. So you can imagine, dancing all night long, getting two hours of sleep, and then giving a tour the next day until 6:00. I was exhausted, but it was worth it.

I have a new found respect for the Fijian people. They used to be known for their cannibalism, but for me it's hard to think that they used to be so viscious. They have made me feel so welcome over this past month, and I feel like part of their family. I love the Fijians!

No comments: