About Me

My photo
If you've met me than you already know. If you have questions...just ask.

Monday, November 3, 2008

Te Vaka

Last week a group called Te Vaka came in concert to BYUH. They're a Polynesian group that sings in different Polynesian languages, they're the ones that did the soundtrack for the new Johnny Lingo movie.

I was really excited to go see them, and right as I got there it was awesome. While performing they danced at the same time and they combined all of the different styles of Polynesian dances. The only thing that sucked was the crowd. Whenever the group asked the crowd to clap along, it would only last about 30 seconds. I was with Jarel and Lilian, another friend from Fiji. We were getting so mad at the crowd. Te Vaka had a lot of energy and was putting on a great show but the crowd just sat there and watched, they're weren't having fun like you should at a concert.

I was getting really mad during one song and I thought to myself, "You know what...this crowd really sucks but what am I doing to change that?" So all of sudden I just stood up and went down the bleachers towards the front. We were about the tenth row up and there was a whole section to the right that was being lame. I went in front of them and waved my arms to get their attention and then I started clapping along with my hands in the air to show them how it's done. My friends my faced looked so funny because I looked like I wanted to hit something. I went and sat back down and everybody in our section was laughing because they couldn't believe I actually did that.

Then I looked up and saw the Tahitian girls that go to school here. Usually they're really fun and into it, but they weren't doing anything either so I went up to where they were sitting and shouting, "HEY, YOU"RE SUPPOSED TO HAVE FUN!" I started dancing in the aisle while going back to my seat. Again everybody in our section was cracking up, especially Jarel and Lilian. Finally, us three didn't care anymore about the other people and we were just got into it.

For the last few songs they invited who ever wanted to come dance to come next to the stage. Some people were going down, and then I saw the Tahitian girls going down. I thought, "Finally!" And so I went down with them and then Jarel and Lilian came down too. There were only about 40 people by the stage out of almost 400 in the crowd, but it was a lot of fun. I was glad that I at least tried to get the crowd involved, and wasn't one of those lame people.

I wish I would have had my camera. We were right next to the stage. I want them to come again. Anyway, that's what happened at the Te Vaka concert...I don't know about everybody else but I sure had fun.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Yay, you did it! I'm surprised that you haven't posted any pictures yet because you a have about a million on facebook. I know that you'll get around to it. I say to heck with all the lame concert losers. You make your own good time and don't let anyone spoil it. I can tell that you figured that one out. Have you started to listen to Christmas music yet? I heard from our good friend Dalilah tonight. Ha ha ha!